MY OPINION: R.E.M. split




It wasn't until about 1998 that I began buying my own REM records, as they released the single 'Daysleeper' and the album 'Up', most of which is a damn good album. An album that I listened to a lot after buying it on cassette from Woolworths (back then some of the new albums were only half the price of the CD) and a record that features one of my favourite love songs of all time, 'At My Most Beautiful'.

The next album 'Reveal' also had some great songs and I recall buying it on its release in 2001. But I didn't really notice the band's 2004 album 'Around The Sun', and although I gave its 2008 follow up 'Accelerate' a few listens, none of it really had that much of an impact on me.

Their final album 'Collapse Into Now' was released earlier this year and saw the band attempting to recreate their old sound in the hope that the quality would be just as good, but despite a handful of excellent tracks ('Discoverer', 'Uberlin', 'Every Day Is Yours To Win') the record was a patchy affair and rather inconsistent in terms of quality. You can read my review of the album here.


The band's split does come as a bit of a surprise, as I thought the band would have carried on forever. It's hard to believe no-one will see this group performing these seminal tracks ever again, but perhaps the band wanted to preserve their legacy as much as they could instead of carrying on and making substandard records. I'm sad to see this band call it a day, but maybe there was nowhere else for them to go musically. Anyway in tribute to a fine group, here are some of my personal favourite REM moments....


Comments

  1. Great video links. Please say you have gone back through the back catalogue. Both Green and Life's Rich Pageant remain the band's most engaging work. Later albums, including NAIHF, are also great and I love Collapse Into Now. The band's split is a shock as I think they have (or had) 2 more great albums in them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...