REWIND: The 13th Floor Elevators - 'Reverberation'

Today's track: one I myself am not completely familiar with yet. The first time I heard of the 13th Floor Elevators was when I learned that Primal Scream's 'Slip Inside This House' was in fact a cover version of a track by these mid-to-late 60's psychedelic pioneers. A few months ago I was thrilled to find a copy of their highly acclaimed self titled debut album, which due to a caption on the back sleeve is often referred to as 'The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators'. Dating from August 1966, this is purported to be the first use of the word "psychedelic" in reference to the music within. The band's sound on this album is notable for its use of the electric jug, played by the band's Tommy Hall. More info about them can be found at their Wikipedia page HERE.

This song is thought to have given its name to Echo And The Bunnymen's ill fated and misguided 1990 album that shares its title. I was amazed to pick up the 2005 CD reissue from a car boot sale for 50p not so long ago...



Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...