REWIND: Kraftwerk - 'Pocket Calculator'

Every record, CD and tape in my collection has a story behind it. Here's one of those stories...

I don't know how the hell it took me nearly 15 years to get a vinyl copy of Kraftwerk's seminal 'Computer World' album, which I have owned a recorded cassette copy of since my school days. A few weeks ago I turned 30 years old and decided to mark my birthday with a record shopping trip. So off I went to Cheltenham Road in Bristol with the intention of visiting Plastic Wax, only to find that no less than three other record shops on the same street! OK, some of them are on Gloucester Road, but both streets are joined in a way that makes them seem like one. One of the shops there is called Prime Cuts, located in the basement below the Re-Psycho clothing shop. With my day flying by, I only had time for a quick browse and to enquire about three particular records that have been at the top of my vinyl wantlist for ages. I say three records, I actually mean 'The Payback' by James Brown, the first Curtis Mayfield LP, and anything by Kraftwerk barring 'The Man Machine'. The guy in the shop knew that the Brown and Mayfield albums weren't in stock, but by a sheer stroke of luck had a vinyl copy of 'Computer World' "out the back somewhere" that was in "a bit of a state" due to its previous owner defacing it with a large sticker across the front sleeve. Luckily the resourceful shop man was a dab hand with some lighter fuel and a cloth, and managed to remove the sticker from the cover. Brilliantly the record itself was in excellent condition, and at just £8, I was VERY pleased with this essential purchase. I thanked the shop guy for his help and asked if Prime Cuts would like to featured in one of RW/FF's Record Shop articles... Imagine my surprise when the man behind the counter revealed that our paths had crossed before... It was Mike Savage, bass player with The Fauns! An amazing Bristol shoegaze band whose 'Lights' album has been a favourite of mine since I heard it earlier this year. Small world eh?




Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...