Track Of The Day: Gut Und Irmler - 'Fruh'

The Hamburg-based Bureau B is quickly becoming one of my favourite record labels, and this striking new cut from Gut Und Irmler's new '500m' LP is just one of the many reasons why. Released a few days ago on September 5, the collaborative album from Gudrun Gut and Faust legend Hans-Joachim Irmler features this highly addictive Krautrock-techno nugget, which has enticed me into putting this LP at the top of my "to listen to" list. It was recorded at the Faust studio in Scheer in Autumn of 2013.

Gudrun Gut: "I had asked Jochen if perhaps we might like to work together. Both with Faust and his solo works, his approach is more improvisational. Improv is not exactly my thing; I don't work that way. I tend to construct something, then refine what's been recorded using the computer, until everything fits. But Jochen's organ playing has always fascinated me. He sits down at the organ and plays and plays, while I tend to dissect everything, then deconstruct and collage things."

Jochen Irmler: "A few years ago, when she played at our Klangbad Festival, I asked Gudrun if she might iike to make an album with me. For more than a decade, I have been following a concept that merges electronics and percussion - and most collaborations were solely among men. I wanted to break with that and asked Gudrun if she would like to complement my organ improvisations. And in her case, she doesn't play the drums, but programs the drums."

Dominic Valvona from Monolith Cocktail has just published a superb review of this fine album, n which he writes that "500m travels on the solar winds and elevates from a reverent esoteric organ produced sanctum into another great mystery... a fantastic electronic peregrination." Read the rest of his thoughts on Gut and Irmler's album HERE.




Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...